Local energy for Selsey and Sidlesham
The Ferry Farm community solar project, between Selsey and Sidlesham, West Sussex has been generated electricity and income from the sun since June 2016. Surplus income from the solar farm will be used to support local community organisations and projects.
Selsey and Sidlesham and surrounding areas spend almost £20 million per year on energy, almost all of which leaves the local economy. The Ferry Farm community solar project is a step towards energy being generated and owned locally, with the value retained in the local economy.
19,000 solar panels already making electricity from the sun
The community solar farm is made up of around 19,000 panels expected to generate over 5.4 million kWh of green energy every year for 25 years or more. That’s enough electricity to power 1,300 homes!
The community solar farm is now live and generating electricity from the sun.
The solar farm will earn income from the sale of electricity and a Feed-in Tariff which provides an inflation linked income for 20 years.
Ferry Farm Community Solar Limited
Ferry Farm Community Solar Limited is a professionally managed community benefit society, which has been set up to help fund the community solar farm and manage the community income generated. Surplus income from the community solar farm (after operating and finance costs) will be used to support projects in the Selsey and Sidlesham area.
For an initial period of 3 years half the income generated will be used to support an energy and fuel poverty advice service managed by local charity Selsey Works. The other half will be used to support a community grant fund for projects in Selsey and Sidlesham. The grant fund is managed by Selsey Community Forum. Please visit the Selsey Community Forum website to find about out how to apply for grant funding and previous awards made.
Ferry Farm Community Solar Ltd is governed by a board of voluntary directors.
If you would be interested in getting involved in the governance of the society or to discuss opportunities for community organisations and projects to benefit, please get in touch at [email protected].
To view the Rules of the Society please follow this link Ferry Farm Community Solar Limited Rules.
The Annual General Meeting of the Members (Meeting) of Ferry Farm Community Solar Ltd (the Society) was held at Selsey Town Hall, Selsey, West Sussex, PO20 0RB on Wednesday 18th June 2017 at 1830. The agenda for the meeting was:
- The receipt of the annual accounts and reports of the board for the year ending 31st December 2017. Ferry Farm’s annual accounts are currently being prepared by our accountants, Kreston Reeves;
- To consider continuing to dis-applying the Society’s requirement to appoint an auditor under Section 84 of the Co-operatives and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 in order to reduce administration costs and maximise income generated for the Society’s community purpose. Full accounts and an annual directors’ report will still be provided to the members;
- The appointment of board members in accordance with the Society’s rules:
- Up to 3 directors elected from the membership.
- Up to 3 directors appointed by Selsey Town Council, Sidlesham Parish Council and Selsey Community Forum (as the community supporting organisation).
- Up to 2 directors co-opted by the board.
- To report on the distribution of the Society’s community surplus over the last year which include supporting an energy and fuel poverty service and a community grant fund for the parishes of Selsey and Sidlesham. It is envisaged that further surpluses will be available for application to the Society’s community purpose from August 2018;
- To report on the payment of share interest to members. It is envisaged that the second share interest payment will be made in August 2018;
- To report on the performance of the solar project and discuss planned activity over the coming year for the Society to seek to take full ownership of the project;
- Any other business.
Minutes of the AGM can be downloaded HERE.
Accounts for year ending 31st December 2017
Our annual accounts prepared by our accountants Kreston Reeves can be downloaded HERE
First Phase of £40,000 grants awarded!
Ferry Farm Community Solar has announced seven local projects which will benefit from the first phase of awards provided via its community grant fund. The 2017 grant fund will total £40,000 across two application phases. Click HERE to find out more.
Second Phase of £40,000 grants awarded!
Ferry Farm Community Solar has announced twelve local projects which will benefit from the second 2017 phase of awards provided via its community grant fund. To find out more about the local organisations, click HERE.
Ferry Farm Community Solar offers two rounds of grant funding each year. The third round of funding is now open, and closes on 30th June 2018.
Selsey Works Initiative for Tackling Fuel Poverty Launched
With fuel poverty a national issue, and a pocket of particular deprivation identified in Selsey, a £20,000 grant awarded by Ferry Farm Community Solar, will be used by SelseyWorks to deliver a Fuel Poverty initiative. The grant aims to total up to £60,000 over three years – to learn more, click HERE.
Community share offer
The community share offer provided an opportunity for people and organisations to invest in the community solar farm. The intended annual interest is 6%, with capital returned over 20 years. The shares are eligible for inheritance tax relief. The share offer closed in December 2016 raising over £300,000.
To find out more please download the share offer document HERE.