Ferry Farm Community Solar Announces Latest Phase of Community Funding
Ferry Farm Community Solar Ltd, a community energy enterprise which generates income from a 5MW community solar farm near Selsey in West Sussex, has announced the latest successful local projects which will benefit from the awards provided via its community grant fund. The grant fund, which is awarded across two application phases each year, is set to total £20,000 in 2018.
The successful projects from the latest phase of the grant fund scheme are:
- Selsey Football Club – to help establish a third adult side
- Selsey to Chichester Greenway – for the completion of ecological impact assessments for the proposed cycle path
- Sidlesham Parish Council – to complete the playground fencing
- The Academy, Selsey – to provide support for the positive mental health of The Academy’s students
- Arts Dream Selsey – to assist in funding the production of the WW1 play ‘Journey’s End’
- Cloud Nine Musical Theatre Group – for the purchase of two coloured LED zoom lights
- Crablands Bowling and Tennis Club – to install new floodlights
- Gainsborough Singers – to purchase new equipment
- Sports Dream – for a joint Selsey Football and Cricket Clubs’ clubhouse
- Youth Dream Selsey Ltd – for the development of a youth support service
Ben Cooper, Ferry Farm Community Solar Director comments: “After another strong round of applications it is exciting to see the breadth of groups that the community grant fund is able to support. The geographical location of many of these local charities and community groups means that they can sometimes find themselves out of the loop when it comes to funding, and so it is great to see the impact that the awards are having. We’re now inviting applications to our next round of funding, with specific focus on supporting causes and initiatives supporting health, education, environment and youth.”
Ferry Farm Community Solar offers two rounds of grant funding each year. The latest round of funding is now open, and closes on 30th November 2018.
About Ferry Farm Community Solar
Ferry Farm Community Solar Ltd is a community benefit society which generates income from a 5 megawatt solar array just north of Selsey, West Sussex. The solar farm has been up and running and generating electricity and income from the sun since June 2016. It is expected to provide the equivalent power to the annual electricity consumption of around 1,300 houses for the next 25 – 30 years.
The community benefit society governed by local people and raised over £300,000 through a community share offer in 2016. Shareholder members have been paid interest payments of 6% in the first two years, in line with the share offer
Surplus income generated by the solar farm is used to support community organisations and projects in Selsey and Sidlesham and support local households struggling with fuel poverty. Over its lifetime the community solar project is expected generate around £1 million of community funding.
The latest round of awards means the society has now allocated over £30,000 in grants to local community projects as well as funding an energy and fuel poverty advice service delivered by Selsey Works.
Ferry Farm Community Solar Ltd was set up by CfR CIC, which provides ongoing company management support.